AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving.

In my college days, I would spend the day before Thanksgiving looking for articles on the internet about the genocidal legacy of the colonialists, so I can be ready to show up for dinner all righteous and indignant about this mockery of a holiday. I would get my Midwestern family heated by asking God for reparations for indigenous people and a little help in overthrowing the government during the Thanksgiving prayer, instigate charged and uncomfortable political conversations over dinner, eat until I pop, cry because my mom supports the war, and take a nap.

I'd like to think that I've cooled my jets a little. I do think that Thanksgiving offers a good time to reflect on the 500 year struggle of native people in this country, but less publicly, and less annoying-ly.

This year, my sis is coming up from Ohio and all I can think about is the amazing food that we will be cooking together. My new found love of cooking has taken the edge off this usually tense holiday, and I'm focused on asparagus and being a tourist in Philly with Nadia.

Thanksgiving Menu

Appetizer
Asparagus with roasted garlic aoli
Cranberry-champagne cocktail

Dinner
Chicken [portobellos for me] stuffed with havarti, artichoke and spinach
Aunt Cindy's mashed potatoes
Herbed Shallot Stuffing
Roasted fall veggies in balsamic glaze
Fattouch

Dessert
Pumpkin Cheesecake with bourbon sour cream topping
homemade chocolate truffles

Here is how it turned out:








Champagne cocktail











Asparagus with Aoli



















The Chicken!





The Whole Shebang...

No comments: