AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Monday, October 15, 2007

Night of 1000 Apples: Episode 3

I spent many a drunken night in college hitting up the only 24 hour restaurant, the Waffle House in Springfield, Ohio. I'm used to my hash browns smothered, covered, chunked, diced, capped and topped.

But, if you want to really wow your brunch guests, do up your hash browns a couple of apples. The recipe says to microwave the potatoes, which proves to me that Rachel Ray is an incompetent floozy, but it is otherwise delicious!

After our Sunday dinner of the curry apple baked beans, apple hash browns, and collard apple salad, I have to say that I am DONE with the apple recipes. I'm so over it. Khalas, bas, enough already!

2 large Idaho potatoes
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
2 tablespoons butter
2 small, soft apples, such as McIntosh, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
Salt and pepper


Prick potatoes several times each with a fork and microwave on high for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool potatoes until you can handle them and chop.

Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with extra-virgin olive oil and butter. Add apples and onions and cook 5 minutes, add potatoes and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Crisp and brown the potatoes with apples and onions 5 minutes more, then serve.

2 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

Love your apple posts! Itsn't it amazing just how much you can make with one ingredient? From sweet to savory to something in between.

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

Anonymous said...

Firt time visitor to your blog. It's so cute! Love reading the posts. I TOTALLY love your little Taboulleh tag line. :) Can't wait to check out more updates from my new Lebanese sister. lol!