AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Sorrel

Maybe I'm totally in the dark and everyone knows what Sorrel is, but I heard of it for the first time last weekend at Red Bamboo in Brooklyn.

Apparently, everyone knows about this fabulous restaurant, too. I was completely in love.

For folks who don't know what Sorrel is, here are some excerpts from the Wikipedia entry:

Common sorrel is a perennial herb that is cultivated as a leaf vegetable. The leaves may be puréed in soups and sauces or added to salads and shav; they have a flavor that is similar to kiwifruit or sour wild strawberries. The plant's sharp taste is due to oxalic acid, and so may be contraindicated in people with rheumatic-type complaints, kidney or bladder stones. Sorrel is also a laxative.

I hear sorrel juice is great with rum.

I didn't try any at the restaurant, and I wish I had. It is now on my list of veggies to try someday.

p.s. What is shav???

No comments: